Monday, November 3, 2008

the life of a server

I hate being sick, I have felt like crap since saturday. and they sent me home after my first shift today. Thats okay though b/c I was expoing tonight not serving so i'm not missing out on any money right now. I've come to the conclusion that serving is the easiest job i've ever had when we are slow but the hardest when we are busy. When we are slow it consists of us sitting around talking, not doing much and goofing off...but when we are busy it's a confusion of mulittasking, people pleasing, and rushing around. I can fill someone's drink, take and order, close someone out and place an order at the same time...I can close out three tables while i'm greeting two. sometimes when I just sit back and think about my job when we are really busy I"m shocked that I can even do it. People don't realize how hard it really is to be a server. To be nice to everyone all the time regardless of how they are being treated or whats going on in their personal life. I have to keep a smile on my face and be at a guests beccon call regardless of whether they are going to tip me 10% or 20%. I have to claim ten percent of my sales on every table even if they don't leave it. and I only get paid 2.13 and hour. So when I have a table who racks up a bill of 50 bucks, then only leaves me four. I'm still claiming I made 5 dollars on that table so I"m actually paying a dollar to have wait on them. People don't realize that. I make more money at my job than I have anywhere else....but that doesn't make up for the people who have no regard for the people who are taking care of them when they go out. Those people don't realize that they are hindering many woman from taking care of their children or paying their bills. it's stupid.
I'm not going to see matthew at all this week and It really sucks but i'm also so sick that I have no desire to do anything but lay around and sleep and hopefully kick this cold before I go on the retreat thursday. I meant to take this weekend for myself to get back in touch and relax. I've been so stressed and bitchy lately. but then I got sick and I spent the whole weekend cranky, coughing, and exhausted.
I'm tired of the election stuff. I don't trust anyone to run the country anymore. I never know what to believe and which person isn't just saying stuff to get my vote. I"m not voting. I don't like either of my choices. I think Mccain is just going to be another Bush and thats not gonna help the economy any, and I think Obama might be able to help the economy but I think he's going to try to make to many changes and things are going to blow up in his face....I just don't know what to think. It's actually kinda scary to me. I'm finally to that age where I care about my country and what happens to it. I care about the economy and where my money is going and I'm not sure either of the canadites are going to do whats best for the the country. I think i'll just move to fiji or something. okay I'm just bitching on here today.....I seem to be in a negative mood...that might have something to do with the fact that I can't breath and that snot is dripping out of my nose....so it's back to the couch for me.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm 28 and I live in a tiny lake town that I love. I have the most amazing friends in the world and a fantastic family. I love my job and have made more money serving than any other more "respectable" job I've ever had.